Thursday, September 13, 2012

Part I - In which I realize my hobbies don't involve my family.

As some of you may (or may not) know, I'm a confirmed guitar nut. I have something on the order of a dozen guitars. I'm really not sure on the exact number right now. I don't even have them all at my house. Not as many as some guitar nuts but it's way more than anybody really needs. I get a little light-headed when I think about the combined MSRP of my "collection." Thank God most of them were bought used and therefore fairly well-discounted. But still, there's a lot of money in guitars here.

At any rate, I'm finding that the longer I play, the more I favor just a few of them. It therefore seems rather silly to have so many when all the majority does is collect dust. Not only that, but my kids are little and they really don't care much about guitars. I mean, they might think it's fun to watch daddy play but... it really is just another thing for them to break. (I type this as my son gets tangled in my laptop's power cord.) They're my kids and they're clumsy: guitars aren't going to factor into their equation for like another 10 years - if ever. Besides, my son likes to beat the crap out of things and would probably enjoy drums more. My daughter seems way too analytically-minded - she might make a better composer.

So I decided to start selling off some of my old stuff and get into a new hobby that my kids can be a part of: RC airplanes. Because RC airplanes are cheap, safe for kids of all ages and virtually unbreakable. Yeah. I didn't think that one through.

Try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment